The fighter and bomber planes stationed at Fort Glenn provided aerial defense for neighboring Dutch Harbor in addition to blocking advances to the mainland from the Japanese. When the Japanese did invade, the troops at Fort Glenn numbered nearly 4,000 and were able to provide cover during the attack on Dutch Harbor on June 3rd and 4th, 1942. It also served as the initial forward base from which they would launch air attacks on Japanese installations at Attu and Kiska.
After the war, it became a refueling stop for transient aircraft and Military Air Transport service flights. By 1946, it was manned only by a skeleton crew. It was formally decommissioned in 1950 and turned over to Bureau of Land Management. Many of the original army structures still remain standing today in various states of deterioration.